So this is once again Mccalls 5651. First Attempt
As I said with the first ones, I wasn't happy with the overall shape, as I prefer them to be more the shape of the front at the back as well if I'm going for that style of cheeky knickers.
I also was most unimpressed with the construction!
With this trial I made 4 the same, and cut size XL. This time I took a total of 8" off all the way around (2 inches at each side front and back). I used the front pattern for both front and back, and love them so much more.
I also changed the construction of them since I hated how they did the crotch construction.
This time I sandwiched the crotch piece between the front and back, so I had a nice seam, and then stitched the sides of each crotch piece under the picot elastic. It's a much neater finish than having zig zag stitching all over the undies in my opinion.
Picot elastic is my total favourite now! I don't even know if I'm attaching it correctly, but it seems to work for me and looks pretty.
For anyone whos never used it, I sew the elastic wrong side to garment right side, with the straight edge of elastic against the edge of the garment. I stitch this on using a 3 step zigzag.
Then I turn the elastic to the inside, and do a 3 step zigzag from the inside(bobbin thread is showing on the right side of garment). I make sure that I pull the fabric taught away from the elastic so there is no fabric covering/hiding the little scalloped edge of the elastic.
It is double work, I know, but you do seem to get a gorgeous RTW look in the end. Except where you get a wee bit of fabric poking out from under the elastic that you forgot to trim, woops! You'll see that in the crotch picture.