Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Nightmare on Emma Continues

Ok the nightmare isn't TOO bad now I'm wearing it.

Pattern Description:
Womens Off the Shoulder Top
Pattern Sizing:
Plus Size 44-52

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
In ways. If I had it off my shoulder, then yes it would look very similar! I also omitted the waist ties

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were really simple. Except for one part that tripped me up, but it was SO simple.
"Lay allowances on neck edges of front, sleeve and back pieces(4cm) to inside, turn in to a width of 3cm and press." Now I look at it, I wonder how it even had me confused. But I probably would've worded it differently to be something like "For neck allowances, turn neck edge down 1cm, press, then turn down another 3cm". Other than that, the instructions were very simple

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
There's not much I don't like about it really. I did call it the "Nightmare on Emma" top yesterday. I was having a lot of trouble with the elastic neckline. No matter how loose the elastic was, it just kept popping up to sit on my shoulders. In the end I gave up, and left it sitting on my shoulders, which I actually prefer, it hides the bra straps!

The length is also far far too short. I'd add on another couple of inches! Since I didn't want to lose any length, and make the top even shorter, I just did a rolled hem edge, it looks so pretty.

Fabric Used:
a light stretch printed Satin.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
As I said, I changed where the neck sits. And got rid of the shoulder ties since the neckline is higher. I also didn't use the waist ties, it would've been too tight, and taken the length up even more.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Will definitely sew it again. It's going to be so comfortable and light in summer! But still gives that loose airy feeling.

Conclusion:
LOVE this top now, and it's no longer "Nightmare On Emma".

Will make it longer the next time, it just feels far too short. It's very comfortable to wear.


Now for the photos.
What you can't see, is the sleeves done the same way as the neckline with elastic. But I actually like how the rest of the sleeves drape down over it, so they look floaty.




inside seams - stitched and overlocked.


My fab rolled hew! Isn't it beautiful lol.
Phhoaarr Check those lily white legs! Bring on SUMMER!



No comments:

Post a Comment