Saturday, March 12, 2011

Slouchy Saturday Sewing

There's nothing like a quick easy project to make on a dull saturday afternoon.

Coming into winter here, and I'm sorely lacking long sleeved tops. On my trip to Auckland last year, I bought the most scrumptious Black merino blend from Designer textiles for $5/m which has been sitting uncut just taunting me. I like it more than my full merino, strange!

So here is Burda 7456.


Pattern Description:
Cowl Neck tops with waistband and differing sleeve lengths

Pattern Sizing:
18-28.
I did a size 24 everywhere, except the front side seams where I used a size 26. First time I've ever morphed sizes, I've always been afraid to for some reason.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Very similar.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
EASY! This would have to be one of the easiest things I've made. Will make more just because it is so easy. You can whip it up in a couple of hours. Great if you've got nothing to wear that night!
The front and back waistband (as called on the guide sheets) were actually named "ankle band" on the pattern pieces. Thought it was rather strange, but it gave me a good laugh!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Love the cowl neck, love the raglan sleeves, love the slouchiness.
Only thing I didn't like, was after attaching the cowl, the instructions say to use a twin needle to stitch the seam allowance down. I thought it was a bit of a waste, considering you never see it, so just edge stitched.

Fabric Used:
The most scrumptious merino knit blend. Bought for $5/m, and I love it so much more than my 100% merino.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
No changes at all, aside from the size 26 instead of 24 on the side front seams. I measured across the front of the pattern, and wanted just that bit of extra room across my stomach and bust as usual, am pleased I did use that one size up.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Absolutely. It's a whip up in an afternoon pattern, very versatile. Anyone could make this, it's such an easy pattern.

Conclusion:
I love it. I like my slouchy winter tops, and this is just perfect. Its comfortable, not restricting, and you feel like you could wear it out to dinner, as well as just blob in front of the fire with it on. Plus it's yummy merino.


Apologies for the bad hanger pic, as my father always says "it looks nothing on a coathanger"





No comments:

Post a Comment